Why are Block Captains Important?
Block Captain Members are neighborhood leaders working to make their communities safe and viable places to live, work and play. By becoming a Block Captain, you can build and strengthen partnerships with neighbors, and other neighborhood stakeholders. Most importantly, as a Block Captain, you will get to know your neighbors.
Block Captains are…
- The point person for the block; receives and relays information to and from neighbors and to and from the community at large.
- A spokesperson for the residents of the block
Block Captains are NOT…
- An authority in a criminal situation
- Law enforcement
- Authorized or encouraged to become physically involved in a crime in progress
Block captain responsibilities…
- Help fulfill the goals of your neighborhood
- Organize your community
- Meet your current neighbors
- Welcome new neighbors
- Provide neighbors with neighborhood information and resources
- Attend neighborhood meetings ; encourage participation in community events